Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kitchen's AFTER


Here's the final product! New floor, cabinets, sink, walls, and harware. Some boring FYI: we treat the counters with a protective oil every few months and use cutting boards. The benefit of using the oil rather than putting a hard shellac on is that if we do accidentally cut it or stain it we can sand that spot and reapply the oil rather than having to treat the entire shalacked countertop.
I love having more cupboards and counterspace!

These lower countertops are perfect for kneading bread and sitting down to a computer for recipes while cooking.

4 comments:

Dave and Catherine said...

Hooray for IKEA! When I was growing up our kitchen was all IKEA, & we LOVED the butcherblock countertops! So much easier than having to get out a cutting board every time! My parents never used the oil, so it started looking ratty after like 7 years, but that's still pretty good considering there was no maintenance involved...

(& by the way, in response to the question on your previous post, I love the yellow!)

Carolyn Hanson said...

I love those countertops!

Tamara said...

The kitchen looks great....good job!!

Jayson & Sara said...

Hey!! Your house looks so nice! I don't know how we found your blog but we did. It's good to see your beautiful kids and everything!